Sunday, January 10, 2016 » E-Mail
Just a quick reminder: when you run your own services on any domain you should make sure, that you have appropriate contact mailboxes configures as specified in RFC 2142.
The most important ones are:
- postmaster: for E-Mail services
- hostmaster: for DNS services
- abuse: for complaints
- webmaster/www: for web services
It’s also a good thing to have the following standard mailboxes:
- info: for general inquiries
- security: for security related inquiries
Unfortunately many service providers don’t follow these guidelines, so that someone can not find an appropraite mailbox address for their services and end up on the info-mailbox, which is designed and also mostly used as a business related mailbox. This delays (if not inhibits) communication with the respective service admins.